Currently, if you run Debian on a Slicehost server, the log file for cron tasks is disabled by default. I am not sure about other distributions on other hosts, or even other distributions on Slicehost. Regardless, here is how you re-enable cron logging on your slice.
- Navigate to /etc (cmd: cd /etc)
- Back-up syslog.conf (cmd: cp syslog.conf syslog.conf.bak)
- Edit syslog.conf (cmd: pico syslog.conf)
- Remove the comment that disables this line: cron.* /var/log/cron.log
- Save the file and exit
- Restart the syslog daemon (cmd: /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart)
- Check to make sure that the file /var/log/cron.log exists. This is where your log entries will be.